TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
The Network on European Communication and Transport Activity Research will have its international conference on July 20th to July 22nd 2022 in Toronto, Canada (tweet about it using #NectarToronto). The 2022 conference theme is:
Mobilizing Justice: Moving Toward Action for an Equitable Transportation Future
Conference Schedule (see the conference program page for more details):
General Call for Papers (for calls specific to NECTAR clusters see the Calls for Abstracts page)
Transportation systems, networks, and infrastructure are the critical link that connects people to their daily social, economic, and health activities. However, the quantity and quality of transportation opportunities available vary significantly from place to place, and often lead to the phenomenon known as Transportation-Related Social Exclusion (TRSE).
The conference calls for presentations on advancements in the fields of transport, communication, and equity. The focus of the conference is transportation equity and TRSE, and how 21st century cities and regions are addressing these important topics in a post-COVID-19 world. For example, presentations may discuss how transport policies enable or prevent access to opportunities, present emerging ways of measuring transport-related disadvantage and its downstream effects, or explore the intersectional experiences of individuals with transportation systems and networks.
We invite papers discussing the following specific topics of interest:
- Economic, social, and health impacts of suppressed or excess travel
- The multiple dimensions of access to opportunities (barriers/constraints)
- Distributional impacts of transportation infrastructure investment
- Equity and environmental impacts of logistics and freight
- New transport technologies, curbside management, and equity
- Digital barriers to transportation and solutions
- Analyses of policy interventions on transportation equity and social inclusion
- Intersectional approaches to experiences and perceptions of people related to mobility and accessibility
- Professional or academic applications of theoretical approaches to equity (prioritarianism, sufficientarianism, egalitarianism, etc.)
- Innovative data collection to advance equity
In addition to these topics, we welcome papers on topics in the fields of transport, communications, and mobility at large. General topics of interest include transport and infrastructure evaluation, transport policy and environment, logistics and freight, tourism, recreation and leisure, housing and labour markets, accessibility analysis, social and health issues, and ICT.
The different NECTAR clusters will also organize specific thematic sessions. Calls for papers for these sessions will be posted on the conference website and the NECTAR website.
Deadline for abstract submission: February 28, 2022. Abstracts should be submitted electronically, using the form available on the conference website and following the instructions on the Abstract Submission page.
Criteria for acceptance
Criteria for acceptance are scope, scientific quality, NECTAR membership and the possibility to fit the presentation in a coherent conference session. We allow one paper presentation per participant.
The NECTAR conference will be organized by the University of Toronto and hosted on its downtown St. George campus. Founded by royal charter in 1827, the University of Toronto is Canada’s largest and top-ranked university, located in a growing global city with direct air connections to over 60 countries.
Participation and NECTAR membership
Registration, meals, and accommodation for one night will be offered to NECTAR members, for only one author per paper. One night of hotel accommodation will be offered to participants who have confirmed their participation before May 31, 2022. One night of hotel accommodation might be charged in case of late cancellations. All practical details will be communicated through the conference website. In order to participate in the conference, a consecutive and current two-year NECTAR membership is necessary (2021-2022). Non-members can find details of how to join the association on the “Membership” page of NECTAR’s website: www.nectar-eu.eu/membership
For most travelers, entry into Canada requires proof of full vaccination. In addition, the University of Toronto requires proof of full vaccination for many activities that occur on campus. Please refer to the NECTAR 2022 conference website for up-to-date COVID-19 related requirements.
- Abstract submission: February 28, 2022.
- Notification of acceptance: March 31, 2022
- Confirmation of attendance: May 31, 2022
We look forward to seeing you in Toronto!
- Karst Geurs, NECTAR chair
- Michael Widener, University of Toronto
- Eric Miller, University of Toronto
- Steve Farber, University of Toronto
- Shoshanna Saxe, University of Toronto
- Marianne Hatzopoulou, University of Toronto
- Karen Chapple, University of Toronto
- Raktim Mitra, Ryerson University
- Shauna Brail, University of Toronto
NECTAR is a European-based scientific association. The primary objective is to foster research collaboration and exchange of information between experts in the field of transport, communication and mobility from all European countries and the rest of the world. It is a multidisciplinary social science network bringing together a wide variety of perspectives on transport and communication problems and their impacts on society from an international perspective. For further information on NECTAR, use the link: http://www.nectar-eu.eu.